Thursday, July 3, 2008

A local co-operative

I'm very excited about tonight. We are hosting the very first meeting of our town's first co-operative.

I have no idea how you go about starting a co-op, but I'm looking forward to learning.

It's exciting because it really demonstrates community working together, being cohesive, which is exactly what we need for a better future.

Living simply is one thing, but we do need community support and connection. As Bill Mollison says; it's not about self-sufficiency, it's about self-reliance.

Self-sufficiency to me means cutting yourself off from others, being an island. Trying and working so hard to fend for yourself you lose touch with the rest of the world.

Self-reliance on the other hand is about taking responsibility, but also sharing that responsibility. Not everyone needs to be an island, there are many things we can share.

I love the idea of a co-op because to me it is a symbol of community taking responsibility for it's own future. Of being brave enough to commit to an idea, and put time, energy and some $$ behind it.

I look forward to being part of the co-op from the very beginning, of learning valuable skills in developing collective ideas, group facilitation and no doubt some conflict resolutions skills too!

I'm also looking forward to doing my shift at the co-op and being part of this really exciting idea.

No comments: